Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Nutty Irishman - Jello Shot


Jello shots were never on my radar through my college years; I wasn't much on Jello, and it always seemed like too much trouble to make when the alcohol you were going to use was already ready to use, and measuring cups make good glasses in a pinch. That said, my wife started playing with Jello shots as part of our annual New Year's celebrations, and quickly became very good at both the preparation and the flavor mixing of Jello shots. (As a note: yes, I know I'm throwing around a brand name casually again-without the hyphen, even. I'm in Vegas, and you're lucky I can still string sentences together. Also, find me something better than Jello or Knox gelatin, and we'll consider revising.)

All of the above is simply to say that when it comes to Jello shots, I'm an enthusiastic proponent, but I leave the preparation to the experts. So, without further ado, here's Julie. I love you, and I promise that Vegas has been an appropriate amount of fun....

On that note... he may not be a fan of Jello but he has been a great addition to the Jello shot quality control department (taste tester) as I've tried new combinations over the years.  Thanks dear!

I too was never into the whole Jello shot thing in college.  It wasn't until about 10 year ago that I ventured into the world of mixing Jello with the 'alcohol of choice."  Because it was all new, the best delivery system was also trial and error.  The first year I actually used glass shot glasses and we quickly discovered they were too deep to effectively get all of the jello out of the glass.  Then I tried ice cube trays... not the best shape.  Next were the JELL-O Bean molds... those were too small but very fun and colorful when mixed in a big bowl (great for parties).  I also tried the Jell-O egg molds but those were too large and not easy for consumption.  So, within the past 5 years we've gone to using the .75oz condiment cups and lids from Gordon Food Service - (the 1oz cups are too deep).  These cups work the best!!  They're easy to stack and store in the fridge while they are setting up, they make for easy travel and they make for easy clean-up.  As most of my friends & family will tell you I'm pretty 'green' and try to always take into account the environmental impact of my purchasing... but the use of the disposable plastic cups is one exception I make.

Most of my Jello shots have been made using flavored JELL-O and then adding alcohol to compliment and/or improve that flavor.  I know the typical addition is vodka because it has a higher alcohol content - but I'm of the theory that if I'm going to eat it - I want to enjoy it.  So, I've tried many combinations over the years but have a few tried and trues that are always on the list when I ask for special requests.
Those include:
Peach Jello w/ DuKuyper Peachtree Schnapps
Berry Blue Jello w/ DuKuyper Blue Curacao
Grape Jello w/ DuKuyper Grape Pucker or Creme de Cassis
Lime Jello w/ Amaretto Di Saronno
Orange Jello w/ Pinnacle Whipped Vodka
Black Cherry Jello w/ Absolut Watkins Vodka (almond & coffee flavor)
Note: There is a Jello Shot note on my Contemporary Complements Facebook page with more fun combinations.

All of these combinations are great but last fall, as were planning for the New Year's party, I started looking for something more... adventurous.  That's when I started searching the web and ran across the Jelly Shot Test Kitchen blog and book.  They have put together a great collection of recipes and presentation ideas.  That being said I've now been experimenting with Knox unflavored gelatin a bit more.  It's been a lot of fun and it's what led me to my first layered Jello shot and this weeks "Drink" of the Week in observance of St. Patrick's Day - enjoy!



This Jello shot is pictured in the

Shamrock Shot Glass, available on the 

The Nutty Irishman Jello Shot

This jello shot has been adapted from the ever popular drink and created into a layered jello shot that will make any St. Patrick's Day celebration (or any party for that matter) complete.

Preparation can be done in a variety of containers including standard shot glasses, a loaf pan and then cut into squares or .75oz condiment cups.

Kahlua Layer:
1/2 cup brewed coffee or espresso
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/2 cup Kahlua coffee liqueur
Pour the coffee into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin - allowing to soak 1-2 minutes and then heating over low heat, stirring regularly, until gelatin is fully dissolved.  Remove from heat and stir in the Kahlua.  Pour mixture in container of choice and chill until fully set (approx. 1 hr.).

Frangelico Layer
1 cup Frangelico
1 envelope Knox gelatin
Pour the Frangelico into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin - allowing to soak 1-2 minutes and then heating over low heat, stirring regularly, until gelatin is fully dissolved.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  Remove the chilled Kahlua layer from the refrigerator and carefully pour the Frangelico mixture over the top.  Return to the fridge and chill until fully set (approx. 1 hr.).

Bailey's Layer
1/2 cup water
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
Pour the water into a small saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin - allowing to soak 1-2 minutes and then heating over low heat, stirring regularly, until gelatin is fully dissolved.  Remove from heat, stir in the Irish Cream and allow to cool slightly.  Remove the chilled Kahlua/Frangelico layers from the refrigerator and carefully pour the Bailey's mixture over the top.  Return to the fridge and chill until fully set - overnight recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment